Monday, March 31, 2008

Braves Drop Heartbreaker to Nats, Thoughts on the Game

The Braves dropped a close one to the Nationals yesterday with a 3-2 loss after Ryan Zimmerman hit a walkoff HR. Hudson gave up 2 in the first after making an error (which ended up not mattering) and the offense struggled. Although it was a bad way to start the season, the Braves will have plenty of time to get hitting, and challenge for the division lead. Tonight Tom Glavine makes his homecoming start at Turner field against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Here are a few thoughts/notes on the Braves/Nats game yesterday:

-Martin Prado is now one of the backup first baseman
-We need a power bat, I didn't think it would matter, but I would have liked to see someone with some pop get up when Brayan Pena did
-Give 'em Hell Yunel (which I originally saw in Matthew Berry's Love/Hate column on ESPN.com is my favorite phrase ever
- Hudson looked sharp for the most part, which is great news
-The ball seemed to carry fairly well in the Nationals new park, even with the cold air
-Yes, I saw what happened last night, but I still believe the Ryan Zimmerman is one of the most overrated and overhyped players in the Majors. Maybe its because I live near Richmond and everyone loves him being a UVa grad and a Nats player, but they seem to forget he produced a .266/24/91 line last year, far from star caliber. Oh, he only hit 13 HRs on the road, so its not like RFK was the only reason for his low power numbers
-I had a bad feeling when Cox left Moylan in for the ninth

No comments: